ASIA/KOREA - KOREAN CATHOLICS KEEP UP MATERIAL AND SPIRITUAL AID FOR IRAQI PEOPLE SUFFERING AFTERMATH OF WAR
Seoul (Fides Service) – Korean Catholics’ concern for the Iraqi people who are suffering in the aftermath of the war continues. On April 12 the Caritas Korea Committee of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference CBCK and the Catholic Times, launched a joint campaign to help Iraq. From April 8 to June 24 every parish in Seoul archdiocese including Myongdong Cathedral offers a special Mass on Tuesdays for the reconciliation of the Korean people and for the Iraqi people who are suffering. The committee for Justice and Peace of Kwangju archdiocese hosted a three day 76 km solidarity march April 14-16 from Yeondong parish in Mokpo city to Namdong parish in Gwangju city to pray for the people of Iraq and share their suffering. Besides this, fraternal efforts to help the Iraqi people are being made by groups, big and small, and organisations all over Korea.
Caritas Korea announced that collections in aid of the Iraqi people reached the amount of US$ 27,500 on 14 May. Caritas Korea has also offered to send medical teams, volunteers and building technicians to Iraq if necessary. “To save our neighbour is to save ourselves and it is a way to share in the Resurrection of Christ” says Reverend Paul Jeremiah Hwang executive secretary of the Committee for Caritas Korea of the CBCK. SL (Fides Service 23/5/2003 EM lines 16 Words: 221)
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls