ASIA/VIETNAM - SUDDEN DEATH OF HEROIC HERALD OF THE GOSPEL, APOSTLE OF VOCATIONS, BISHOP VAN NHO COADJUTOR OF NHA TRANG,
Nha Trang (Fides Service) – Bishop Pierre Nguyen Van Nho, coadjutor of Nha Trang diocese in Vietnam, died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 66 on 21 May. The entire local Church, clergy, religious, seminarians and laity, is mourning the death of the tireless herald of the Gospel and apostle of vocations. Bishop Pierre Nguyen Van Nho was in fact Rector of Nha Trang major inter-diocesan. Nha Trang diocese, a suffragan of Hue is situated in the highlands of central Vietnam where the Catholic community is large and fervent. The diocese is renowned for the high number of vocations both to the priesthood and the religious life. There would be many more but the seminary has to turn away numerous young men because of government restrictions on the number of students accepted every year. This diocese gives special attention to youth pastoral thanks to a well formed and dedicated clergy. The whole community still reaps great benefits from the heritage left by the late Cardinal Xavier Van Thuan, who was Bishop of Nha Trang before being appointed Archbishop of Ho Chi Minh City.
Bishop Pierre Nguyen Van Nho was born on 25 January 1937 at Vo Canh in the diocese of Nha Trang. Ordained a priest on 21 December 1967, thirty years later he was later appointed coadjutor of Nha Trang and was ordained a Bishop on 18 June 1997. Numerous Bishops as well as priest, religious and laity are expected in Nha Trang for the Bishop’s funeral on 27 May. PA (Fides Service 23/5/2003 EM lines 20 Words: 260)
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls