AMERICA/BRAZIL - “MAY THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM CONTINUE TO SHINE AMIDST DIFFICULTIES AND FEAR, VIOLENCE AND PROBLEMS TO HELP US BUILD A NEW HUMANITY ”: BRAZILIAN BISHOPS’ CHRISTMAS MESSAGE
Brasilia (Fides Service) – In a special Message for Christmas the Bishops of Brazil say they hope that the “star of Bethlehem may continue to shine amidst difficulties and fear, violence and problems to help us build a new humanity and a Brazil of more justice and solidarity”.
The letter reads: “We join our voice with the voices of the Three Kings who saw the star rising in the East and came to adore the Child and asked: "Where is the new born King of the Jews? We saw his start rising and we have come to adore him"(Mt 2,1-2). Like the shepherds, “we are called to see with wisdom, optimism and love the path which leads to the stable in Bethlehem. As simple pilgrims on the pilgrimage of life we must let ourselves be guided by the light of Christ who loves us personally. He knows what is in our hearts and he wishes to come into our families and communities.”
Quoting Pope John Paul II the Bishops say that the Holy Father helps us to recognise the signal of the lights of Bethlehem: “, God is preparing a great springtime for Christianity, and we can already see its first signs…Today in fact there is a new consensus among peoples about these values: the rejection of violence and war; respect for the human person and for human rights; the desire for freedom, justice and brotherhood; the surmounting of different forms of racism and nationalism; the affirmation of the dignity and role of women. ” (R M 86).
See Message of Brazilian Bishops in Portuguese
(R.Z.) (Fides Service 23/12/2003; lines 19; words 268)
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"