ASIA/INDIA - MORE THAN 700 PEOPLE ATTEND PRESENTATION OF ALBERIONE AWARD TO “OUTLOOK” WEEKLY, COMMITTED TO PEACE AND SOCIAL HARMONY IN INDIA
Bombay (Fides Service) – The journalism award named after the founder of the Pauline Family, Blessed Giacomo Alberione, beatified 27 April, was assigned to Outlook an Indian culture and news weekly in a ceremony in Bombay on 10 May. The prize of 30,000 Rupee was presented to Outlook’s editor Vindo Metha, by Pauline Father Joe Eruppakkatt director of St Paul’s and Better Yourself Books publishing house.
The motivation for the award describes the weekly an “ardent promoter of peace, justice and harmony for the country”. Accepting the award the editor of Outlook thanked the Pauline Family in front of an assembly of over 700 people and with an act of solidarity and generosity he returned the prize money to the Pauline Fathers asking them to use it for their valuable service of apostolate through the media.
Speaking to those present Mr Metha voiced concern for interreligious violence between Hindus and Muslims in Gujarat, a subject often given wide space by his publication: “What has happened is a motive of shame for the people of India, and this is a tragedy which could be repeated in Gujarat given the architecture of the state: the authorities should not allow democracy to be subverted in such a clamorous manner” he said referring to the recent approval in Gujarat of a bill which subjects religious conversions to state control. PA (Fides Service 20/5/2003 EM lines 21 Words: 240)
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure