AMERICA/CHILE - TOWARDS SECOND AMERICAN MISSION CONGRESS CAM 2 - “CONGRESS DELEGATES PROMISE TO BE POINTS OF INFORMATION AND FORMATION FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE DIOCESES”
Santiago (Fides Service) – “Through our publications “Chile Misionero” and “Pablito Misionero” read in parishes, formation centres, lay groups, families and among Missionary Childhood members, we have diffused articles on the journey towards the Second American Mission Congress CAM 2”: Father Jorge Vega Velasco SVD, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) in Chile, told Fides, as he illustrated the activity of national and diocesan PMS directors to increase awareness of the now imminent major missionary event. With 26 diocesan directors the National Director promoted and diffused documents and other material on CAM 2. “We gave special attention to the formation of the Chilean Delegation which will go to Guatemala” Father Vega Velasco told Fides.
Chile’s delegation led by Card. Francisco Javier Errazuriz Ossa, Archbishop of Santiago, President of the Chilean Bishops’ Conference and President of the Council of Latin American Bishops’ Conferences CELAM,comprises 40 members representing the dioceses of Chile: 19 lay people, 3 lay missionaries, 3 Sisters, 4 Brothers 10 diocesan priests and 1 permanent deacon.
“The delegates prepared with two meetings. On 23 August Father Gerardo Bellew (former PMS National Director) present delegates with a detailed report on preparations for CAM 2 by the Church in Guatemala in communion with Sister Churches in Central America”. Delegates also discussed the themes of the CAM 2 working paper and reflected on how these themes Church life in Chile.
A second preparatory meeting for delegates was held on October 11 to continue analysis of the working paper and prepare the contribution which the Church in Chile will share with CAM 2 participants. The contribution will illustrate the different activities and initiatives at the church level. “The Delegates promised to be for their respective dioceses channels of information and formation with regard to the Congress. Members of Missionary Childhood, Youth groups and Missionary Sick promised to pray for a fruitful CAM 2 , that the Congress may reach the set objectives in favour of the universal mission”.
One eloquent sign of the Chilean Church’s mission commitment ad gentes are 260 missionaries working in different countries all over the world; six are diocesan priests. Keenly aware of the value of prayer, every Friday in the National PMS Chapel the National PMS Office holds prayers in unity with and for missionaries. Since September every Thursday there is Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in support of missionaries. (R Z) (Fides Service 17/11/2003 – lines 37; words 487).
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty