VATICAN - THE POPE PRESIDES MASS FOR THE CARDINALS AND BISHOPS WHO DIED IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS: “ALL THESE VENERABLE BROTHERS ARE NOW IN THE PROVIDENT ‘HANDS’ OF GOD WHO HAS WELCOMED INTO THE ETERNAL EMBRACE OF HIS LOVE ”
Vatican City (Fides) – On Thursday 13 November at 11.30am Pope John Paul II presided a Concelebration of the Holy Eucharist in St Peter’s Basilica for the cardinals and bishops who died during the last 12 months.
“The memory of the cardinals who have left us was particularly present and vivid during recent Concistory – the Pope said in his homily -. We pray also for the bishops whom the Lord called to himself from this world in recent months. It is a consoling thought that all these venerable brothers, zealous servants of the Gospel during their earthly life are now in the provident hands of God who has welcomed then into the eternal embrace of his love.”
John Paul II recalled that “in their pastoral concern they educated the faithful, through preaching and example, to tend towards real and eternal values, striving to be models for the flock entrusted to them. Therefore we are confident that the Lord will grant them the reward promised to his faithful servants.”
(S.L.) (Fides Service 13/11/2003 – lines 14; words 181)
- 2015-08-07 - Women and children are the main victims of the war in the Country
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society