ASIA/INDIA - CHRISTIANS IN ORISSA COMMITTED TO DEFEND TRIBAL CULTURE AND PROMOTE DEVELOPMENT OF DEPRESSED AREAS THREATENED BY HINDU FUNDAMENTALISM
Bhubaneswar (Fides Service ) – The situation for Christians in the Indian state of Orissa is not one of the easiest since it is one of the states with the largest number of fundamentalist Hindu groups which in the past have attacked Christians and Christian institutions. Despite the difficulties the local Church carries on with its pastoral service with courage. Recently a group of Tribal Christians engaged in a project to open a Tribal Institute of Culture and Development, to safeguard tribal culture and promote development programmes in tribal areas. At the same time an NGO will be constituted to run the Institute.
Another priority for the Catholic community in Orissa is pastoral care for youth: in Mayurbanj city, Orissa, from 31 October to 1 December there will be a month of special youth formation and animation. Father Kuriakose Mambrakatt, director of youth pastoral in the region told Fides about the initiative. The “month of formation” aims to help youth in rural areas to be more aware of the role of the laity in the Church and the importance of Christian witness on the part of young lay people as well as to sensitise them on questions of justice and peace.
(PA) (Fides Service 6/11/2003 Lines: 23 Words: 216)
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament