EUROPE/ITALY - “FILIPINO IMMIGRANTS IN EUROPE: CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS” – A CONFERENCE IN ROME ON THE ROLE OF THE CHURCH AND PASTORAL QUESTIONS
Rome (Fides Service) – More than 40 delegates and immigration pastoral workers from all over Europe are meeting in Rome for the 5th European Conference of Pastoral Care for Filipino Immigrants in Europe, 3-6 November. Participants include Bishop Ramon Arguelles, head of the Emigration Commission of the Philippines Bishops’ Conference; Mgr Ruperto Santos, national co-ordinator for Italy and Rector of the Pontifical Filipino College; Rev. Albert Guevara, chaplain to the Filipino community in Italy; Father Luigi Petris and Father Bruno Mioli of the Fondazione Migrantes.
The delegates will reflect on the different national realities in Europe and discern, through listening to reports and discussion in workshops, problems and challenges facing communities Filipino immigrants in the present historical, cultural and social context. One fundamental point to clarify is the role of the local Churches and local pastoral care for Filipino immigrants. The delegates were received in audience by Pope John Paul II on 5 November. After issuing its conclusions, the Conference will close with a solemn celebration of Mass at the Basilica of Saint Mary Major. (PA) (Fides Service 5/11/2003 lines 19 words 177)
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty