VATICAN - THE POPE’S GENERAL AUDIENCE TEACHING: PRAYER WITH A PURE AND SINCERE HEART IS A SACRIFICE OFFERED TO GOD. THE WHOLE BEING OF THE PERSON WHO PRAYS BECOMES A SACRIFICIAL ACT. HANDS RAISED IN PRAYER ARE A BRIDGE OF COMMUNICATION WITH GOD
Vatican City (Fides Service) – Addressing thousands of visitors gathered in St Peter’s Square for the Audience on Wednesday, November 5 Pope John Paul II gave his teaching on Psalm 140 (1-9):
The Pope explained that the second verse of the psalm
The Psalm then assumes a tone of supplication. The praying person begs the Lord to “prevent lips and the feelings of the heart to be attracted or hampered by evil and lead him to carry out «evil acts» he then says firmly that he refuses all complicity with the wicked man”. “To express more vehemently his radical disassociation from the sinner the psalmist proclaims in the latter’s regard indignant condemnation, expressed with recourse to vivid images of vehement judgement.” The psalm closes with “a song of faith, gratitude and joy in the certainty that the believer will never be involved in the hatred reserved for him by the perverse nor will he fall into the snare they tend, after seeing his decision for good ”. S.L.) (Fides Service 5/11/2003 – lines 26; words 388)
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"