AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - MILITARY PARADE ENDS IN TRAGEDY: 200 INJURED INCLUDING 13 SUFFERING FROM SEVERE BURNS
Ouagadougou (Fides Service)- “It was a tragedy and we express our deepest sympathy while ensuring our prayers for the injured and the families”, a local Church source in Burkina Faso tells Fides after the fire which broke out during a military parade at Bobo Dioulasso. Taking part in the parade, besides Burkina Faso troops, were also members of the respected armed forces of Benin, Niger, Morocco, Mali, Senegal and Ghana. Local sources say the fire started when a burning torch held by an onlooker fell to the ground igniting nearby oil drums. Some 200 people were injured and 13 of them are suffering from serious burns. Minister of Defence General Kouame Loungue has announced an inquiry to ascertain the causes of the tragedy. LM (Fides Service 3/11/2003, lines 15 words 141)
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls