AMERICA/BRAZIL - BISHOPS’ CONFERENCE CELEBRATES 25TH YEAR OF POPE JOHN PAUL II’s PONTIFICATE: JUBILEE MASSES AT BRASILIA CATHEDRAL; BISHOPS’ WEB SITE SPECIAL JUBILEE SECTION
Brasilia (Fides Service) – To celebrate the 25th Year of Pope John Paul II’s pontificate, the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB) planned two special Jubilee Masses: at the National Marian Shrine of Aparecida on Mission Sunday 19 October and at Brasilia Cathedral on 29 October.
The Jubilee Mass at National Marian Shrine of Aparecida was presided by Cardinal Aloisio Lorscheider Archbishop of Aparecida and concelebrated by 16 Bishops from the states of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, including Bishop Odilo Pedro Scherer, CNBB general Secretary; Bishop José Nelson Westrupp SCJ, of São José dos Campos and President of CNBB region south 1; Bishop Rafael Llano Cifuentes, auxiliary of Rio de Janeiro archdiocese and Bishop Gil Antônio Moreira, auxiliary of São Paulo. The church was packed with some 35,000 people from São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
At the end of the Mass Cardinal Lorscheider recalled Pope John Paul II’s important contribution to build a world of peace and societies of more solidarity: “The Pope helps humanity in its search for peace, dialogue, love, brotherhood and solidarity” the Cardinal said.
According to Bishop Odilo Pedro Scherer, CNBB general Secretary, the beatification of Mother Teresa and the celebration of the 25th year of Pontificate of John Paul II highlight two priorities which the Church indicates for all Christians and which the Holy Father never fails to stress: holiness and mission. Mother Teresa “lived a holy and missionary life ” said Bishop Odilo.
Besides the Jubilee Masses to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the election of Pope John Paul II, the CNBB has a special section on its web site with a series of articles on this Pontificate. Themes include: “John Paul II and Mary” Archbishop Murilo S.R.Krieger, SCL, of Florianópolis; “John Paul II: Shepherd of vocations” by Bishop Gil Antonio Moreira, member of the CNBB Commission for Consecrated Life and Ordained Ministries, auxiliary of São Paulo archdiocese; “The Family in the Pontificate of John Paul II” Bishop Rafael Llano Cifuentes, President of the CNBB Commission for the Family and Life and auxiliary of the archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro. The special web page section includes also a photo album.
(M.R) (Fides Service 23/10/2003; lines: 36; words: 459)
- 2015-08-07 - Women and children are the main victims of the war in the Country
- 2015-07-09 - Violence prevents aid workers to provide safe medical care
- 2015-02-23 - Release of Indian Jesuit held hostage for eight months
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – First baby arrives in MSF new maternity centre in Kabul
- 2014-09-09 - JRS: optimistic about release of Jesuit priest taken hostage in June
- 2014-09-09 - A Christian MP in Iraq’s new government
- 2014-06-04 - Priest kidnapped, the JRS: "We trust in local communities"
- 2014-06-03 - Jesuit kidnapped: Fr. Moretti asks for "prayer and silence"
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society